In the year 1982, an association under the name of Vidarbha Orthopaedic Society was started in Nagpur. This society was formed by the efforts of Dr. Vikram Marwah, Dr. S. S. Babhulkar, Dr. Satish Kale, Dr. N. K. Saxena, Dr. B. K. Sood, Dr. Anil Golhar, Dr. W. B. Tayade, Dr. M. M. Rathi (Akola), and few more. The founder president was Dr. S. S. Babhulkar and Secretary Dr. Kiran Saoji. There were around 30 members when this Vidarbha Orthopaedic Society was formed, is flourishing since then and at present, we have around 250 members.
This society was formed to promote academic activities in the field of Orthopaedics. In the past 28 years, VOS has conducted many CME’s, Workshops, Clinical meetings & Conferences. This has benefited to keep updated with the subject.
In the year 2006, the society celebrated Silver jubilee and with the new enthusiasm, set new goals for the orthopods in future. In the year 2007, Society started its office at IMA House, North Ambazari Road, Nagpur.
In the year 2010, society was formally registered under the Mumbai charity act, 1978, Vidarbha orthopaedic society website was launched in the year 2009. In recent years, a lot of new initiatives were taken by society like
1. Starting a Short Term Observership Programme (STOP) for VOS members, so that they could visit various centres across the country to learn from stalwarts of the field and VOS funds their visit and stay during the period. 2. Post Graduate Clinical academy, to involve the members in to postgraduate training and also this helps in expanding the horizons of teaching beyond the boundaries of teaching institutes, under the banner of this academy VOS conducts Six Postgraduate clinical meetings(PGCM) in a year, which involves PG teaching, case presentations, case discussions etc. 3. Life Time Achievement Award, to felicitate and honour our esteemed teachers and senior members of the society who have contributed immensely to the growth of VOS over the years. It is a way of showing our gratitude to the person, who has spent years working for the betterment of society and for the community as a whole.
In the year 2015, Dr. Ashutosh Apte took over the charge of the society as President and under his able leadership, society is moving leaps and bounds. He was ably supported by Dr. Amol Kadu, as Secretary in all his endeavours. This year society is working on the theme of “Creating Awareness to Save Lives”, which is focussed on creating awareness in the community about road safety. The society is conducting seminars in various institutions, organisations and social forums to spread a word about the importance of following traffic rules. To raise the bar of academic deliberations and to make it member friendly, VOS has declared its Clinical programme calendar well in advance during the installation ceremony. This will help members to plan their schedules and book time in their almanack. This year, VOS, booked an office premise in the new IMA Annexe Building and have made payments for the same.
“Nagpur Arthroplasty Course 2015”, marked the beginning of a new era in the history of VOS, being the first Arthroplasty course conducted by the society this year on 12th & 13th September. It was highly appreciated and widely acclaimed by all. 180 delegates form Vidarbha, Chhattisgarh and MP attended the course. This was the first such course conducted by the society, setting off a tradition for the years to come.
This year, the official portal of VOS, www.vosnagpur.com was revamped and it was made more dynamic and we are working on bringing more members online to decrease the use of paper communication. This year for the first time online registration facility for all the clinical events and conferences is made available on the website.
2015 – 2016 Executive Body
Dr. Ashutosh Apte
Sawali Orthopaedics Hospital, Hanuman Mandir Road, Dharmpeth, Nagpur – 440010
Email: [email protected]
Dr. Amol Kadu
Upacharya – an Institute of Orthopaedic Surgery & Trauma Care Centre, 62, Central Avenue, Near Gitanjali Cinema, Nagpur – 27.
Phone: +91 (712) 2724462 (C)
Email: [email protected]
Dr. Avinash Patil
Vice President (Elect)
Dr. Rajendra Chaudhary
Dr. Shyam Rathi
Clinical Committee Chairman
Dr. Alankar Ramteke
Dr. Amit Hadole
Dr. Alok Umre
Dr. Sumedh Chaudhary
Dr. V. K. Verma
In charge PGCM
Dr. Sameer Dwidmuthe
- Dr. Makrand Dhopavkar (Nagpur)
- Dr. Abhijit Deo (Nagpur)
- Dr. Shailesh Bijwe (Nagpur)
- Dr. Vikram Sapre (Nagpur)
- Dr. Mukesh Laddha (Nagpur)
- Dr. Tushar Bhure (Nagpur)
- Dr. Samrat Taori (Nagpur)
- Dr. Sandip Agrawal (Gondiya)
- Dr. Ranjit Deshmukh (Akola)
- Dr. Hrishikesh Saodekar (Amravati)
- Dr. Yogesh Salphale (Chandrapur)
- Dr. Sudarshan Kamble (Yavatmal)
- Dr. C. M. Badole (Wardha)
- Dr. Manoj Patil (Buldhana)